SEA Center for Race & Equity Racial Equity Team Partner Program
Are you passionate about equity? Do you enjoy working with other educators to create change and take action to make our schools a place for all students? Do you value the power of educators to lead the fight for racial equity? The SEA Center for Race and Equity is looking for 10 educators to partner with equity teams to support their growth and development towards addressing issues of equity in their school. The Partner will provide a vital role in sustaining and cultivating educator leaders through Racial Equity Teams by
- engaging in Professional Learning Community with other RETs
- helping to find and utilize topic specific resources (for example: restorative practices, inclusion models, whole school discipline policy, etc.)
- establishing meeting and team (operating) protocols
- co-facilitating staff conversations
- helping to establish school professional development pertaining to the work of RETs
The Seattle Education Association and its members recognize the importance of empowering educators to lead the work of making our education system more equitable for all students.
The Center for Race and Equity was created when the engaged Seattle Education Association Representative Assembly voted to release a teacher from the classroom to lead and help develop the project. With a growing number of educator leaders who are dedicated to the work of creating an equitable education and world for our students, we created the mission statement and vision, hosted our first Leadership Summit with continuing action teams, and now, launching the RET Partner Program.
Our mission is to empower educators to own individual and collective accountability for leading the fight in dismantling racial injustice by actualizing equity in SEA, our schools, our community and our profession.
Here is a 9 minute video telling our story: https://youtu.be/PDu-lo6VxHs
RET Partners will
- host and facilitate quarterly regional gatherings of RETs
- partner with # of RETs to provide site based:
- resource gathering
- centrally collect resources for RETs based on interest and need
- Attend quarterly RET Partner Meetings
- Attend summer retreat
- At least 2 years in PreK-12 education
- SPS educator
- Experience supporting other educators
- Experience collaborating with a team
Diverse cultural backgrounds are a priority
- Member of SPS Racial Equity Team within the last three school years.
- Experience in leading, designing, or facilitating race and equity discussions, programs, curriculum or other relevant instruction
Multiple release days to: prepare for and meet with teams and to meet with other Partners.
Questions, in lieu of an interview:
- Our work relies on a "foundation that relies more on educators' understanding of equity and inequity and of justice and injustice than on their understanding of this or that culture." Please react to this statement (do you agree/disagree? Describe your understanding, etc.)
- Please describe an experience where you provided effective coaching to adults or your peers. What made it effective?
- Describe a time you took initiative in an effort to increase equitable practices in your school
- What are three qualities or characteristic of a successful racial equity team?
Please apply here: https://form.jotform.us/mprinzing/partner-program-application